Redstone Arsenal is located in the heart of the Tennessee Valley, in northern Alabama. It's a sportsman's paradise, made to order for those who enjoy fishing, hunting, boating, water skiing, picnicking, hiking, biking, or just sitting and looking.
Redstone Arsenal was built in 1941 to produce conventional chemical ammunition for use in World War II. For more than 40 years, Redstone has been the heart of the Army's rocket and missile programs. Dr. Werner von Braun and his German rocket experts developed the first ballistic missile; this led to the establishment of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in 1960. Today Redstone is home to the U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command (AMCOM), the Space and Missile Defense Command, numerous Program Executive Offices (PEO), and major components of the Defense Intelligence Agency and the Missile Defense Agency. Also located here are numerous tenant and satellite organizations. "Team Redstone's" mission is perform basic and advanced weapons system research and development, placing the right missile and aviation systems with the troops, keeping them ready to fight, providing weapon systems, services and supplies to our allies, to manage weapon systems such as the Cobra and PATRIOT, and to support project managers within the program executive office structure.
Population served: 187,452 Soldiers (Active, retired, and dependents); 27,894 civilians (DA, contractor, and nonappropriated fund); 16,287 National Guard/Reserve; and 55,303 civil service retirees. Size: approximately 38,000 acres and 12 million square feet of building space.